QUEEN’S PARK — The NDP MPP for Ottawa Centre, Joel Harden, said Wednesday's news that more than 300 public school teachers and about 40 early childhood educators may lose their jobs at the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, is disturbing evidence that Doug Ford is cutting the budget at the expense of children.
The expected job losses in Ottawa are among hundreds of teacher lay-off notices issued across the province as a result of Ford’s massive cuts to education, announced in his budget last week.
“We know that students thrive when their learning environment is safe and supportive,” Harden said. “The Ford government’s plan to take $32 million away from Ottawa’s English public schools will make students less safe, with support and attention from teachers and educators ripped away. It will mean larger class sizes, fewer elective courses and fewer opportunities for kids."
Harden asked about Ottawa students, teachers and education workers during question period in the legislature Thursday.
“Parents in my riding keep telling me their children need more support in schools, not less," said Harden. "The government must put a stop to these callous education cuts. Ottawa students, parents, teachers and educators deserve so much better.”