Here are today’s new developments:
- Canada announced a new commercial rent subsidy program, to be funded jointly by the provinces – the Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses said the program may rely too much on landlords to administer, and may not provide adequate support to hard-hit businesses.
- The Ontario Superior Court ruled in favour of The Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) and its members working in long-term care facilities, ordering four long-term care homes to provide workers with PPE including N95 masks, and the right to wear them. – Official opposition leader Andrea Horwath issued a statement, noting: "It was shocking to see that, instead of backing the nurses, the Ford government took on intervenor status in this case to throw cold water on the nurses’ quest to have access to the PPE."
- The Canadian military will begin to support five Ontario long-term care homes hit hard by outbreaks of COVID-19 - we have been urging the government to take long overdue action on the crisis facing long-term care.
Here are some concerns the we are working on, and solutions we’re pushing for:
- With May 1 just around the corner, we are fighting for an 80% rent subsidy for renters, up to $2,500 a month. People can sign a petition in online in support of that.
- The official opposition is flagging that the new commercial rent support program has massive gaps that leave many businesses out, and is calling on the Ontario government to fill them.
- The NDP’s proposal to “Save Main Street” urges the Ford government to provide provincial relief for small and medium-sized businesses; the call has been ignored by the Ford government for weeks.
Here are some things we’re hearing from our community members:
- People are raising concerns about the state of long-term care and seniors homes before COVID-19 — a problem the NDP has been raising for years.
- Ongoing concerns about small businesses that are failing, with some facing eviction — through no fault of their own — because there is no provincial support in place for expenses like commercial rent.